Volunteers are vital to the YMCA. Without you, we wouldn’t be able to meet the needs of the people who live in our community.
From board members to youth sports coaches to smiling greeters, volunteers are the heart of the Y. Hundreds of business leaders, community members, parents, teens, and so many more dedicate their time and talent to strengthening their local community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Becoming a volunteer allows individuals to give back and learn something about themselves in the process. The Y is a nonprofit like no other. Get involved today.
As a YMCA volunteer, you’ll directly impact the lives of people, families, children, and seniors, and help make our community stronger. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Explore your interests and passions
- Broaden your personal and professional skills
- Develop leadership skills
- Fulfill a school requirements
- Meet new friends from all walks of life.
- Support a cause that brings lasting personal and social change to others.
- Feel good, improve your health and reduce stress.
- Learn, grow, and have fun
Questions or more information contact Kim McKone, Director of Outreach at 336.854.8410.
Ways to Volunteer
We always need help making the YMCA a welcome and great place to be! Fill out the below application. It will be e-mailed to your local Volunteer Coordinator and then you will attend the volunteer orientation. At that orientation you will go over the open volunteer opportunities. Age for Volunteers varies by location.
Youth Sports Volunteer Coach
YMCA of Greensboro is in need of volunteer coaches for all of our Youth Sports. Sign up to help today and make a difference in a child's life.
Bright Beginnings Volunteer
At the Y we believe that every child should start the school year ready to excel. We believe that success starts from day one and we know our community can come together to help all of the children in our city achieve success.
National Swim Meet Volunteers
The YMCA needs volunteers who can help with the Annual YMCA National Swim Meets held at the Greensboro Aquatics Center. Hundreds of volunteers are needed to show the thousands of championship swimmers and their families some Southern Hospitality.
- 2 Runners are needed each shift (heat); one at each of the two pools. Runners will take heat results disqualifications “dqs,” and other messages from the judges and timers to the Tech Support room. Wear your volunteer shirt, comfortable shoes, and you may get splashed some by swimmers.
- Water Refreshers
- 2-3 water volunteers needed each shift. There are large orange water coolers at each corner of the pool decks that need to be refreshed with cool water, ice and cups constantly. This is an essential task because the swimmers and judges become dehydrated quickly.
- Gate Guys and Gals
- Gate guys and gals make everyone feel welcome and keep the spirits high. This is all about customer service and having fun! Gate guys and gals are positioned at the entrance and will float between the Greensboro Aquatics Center (GAC) and the Special Events Center.
- Athlete Village Greeters and Roamers
- The Athlete Village is located in the Special Events Center. You will work with the Coliseum staff to be sure only the athletes and approved staff enter into the village. The goal is to keep a safe and friendly environment for the athletes at all times.
Orientation and training are strongly encouraged. Training will be Monday, April 2 at 5:30 pm at the Special Events Center. Volunteer shirts and parking passes will be distributed at this time.
Special Events Volunteer
Provide leadership to the YMCA through membership on a branch Board of Management or one of its committees.
To find out abour oppertunties contact the Exective Director at your local YMCA