Walk With Ease
The Ragsdale Y is launching the new Walk with Ease program! The program will take place on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays beginning January 22, 2024 at 11am-12pm. The Walk With Ease course will be offered for a total of 18 sessions, and participants are encouraged to attend at least 12 to experience the full benefits.
Walk With Ease is a 6-week, evidence-based group exercise walking program for adults with, or without, arthritis. The program has been proven effective in the following areas:
- Increasing balance, strength and walking pace
- Reducing pain and discomfort of arthritis and/or joint pain
- Helping with weight loss
- Improving mental health, flexibility and overall physical health
In addition, Walk With Ease is the only walking program identified as arthritis-appropriate and evidence-based by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
How Does it Work?
Walk With Ease is conducted as a group and is led by one to two certified leaders. Participants take 30-minute walks and learn stretching, warmup and basic exercise techniques. The program also includes health education, strengthening exercises and motivational strategies.
Participants commit to three walks per week for six weeks and will take simple pre- and post-program health evaluations. There is also a program option that encourages walking on one’s own and/or once weekly group walking sessions, with support through online and email resources.
Schedule and Locations
- Friends Home (6100 W. Friendly Ave. Greensboro, NC 27410). The in-person program runs from 2:30-3:30pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Starting October 16 through November 2023.
- Mary Perry Ragsdale Family YMCA(900 Bonner Drive, Jamestown NC 27282). The in-person program runs from noon-1pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Starting October 16 through November 2023.
- Temple Emmanual (1129 Jefferson Road, Greensboro NC). The in-person hybrid program runs from 11am–noon on Mondays only, starting October 16 through November 2023.
Who Can Participate?
We are proud to offer our Walk With Ease program free to the community thanks to grant funding. Anyone can participate, and all walks are handicapped accessible.