General Membership Policies
We're so glad you're part of the Y family!
To help keep everyone safe and happy and our Y running smoothly, check out the below information.
Code of Conduct
The YMCA strives to create and maintain an environment that is welcoming, genuine, nurturing and caring for people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds. Everyone using the YMCA is expected to behave in a mature and responsible way and to respect the rights and dignity of others. The YMCA insists that individuals using this facility demonstrate caring, responsible, respectful and honest behavior. Our Code of Conduct does not permit profane language or action that can hurt or frighten another person. Any inappropriate behavior, including but not limited to: aggressive or threatening behavior, harassment of any type, inappropriate language or any inappropriate sexual activity may result, at the sole discretion of the staff, in suspension or termination of membership. Please report any inappropriate behavior to a staff member as soon as possible.
To maintain a safe and welcoming facility please adhere to the following:
- Proper dress is required at all times while in the YMCA facility.
- Alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs are not permitted on YMCA property.
- Carrying a concealed weapon on the premises is prohibited.
- The YMCA is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Free lockers are for day use only. Members are asked to bring a lock and secure their personal items at all times.
- Personal Trainers and Swim Instructors who are not employees of the YMCA are not permitted the use of YMCA facility to train clients.
- Program registration is not accepted until full payment is made.
- Children of the opposite sex may accompany a parent into the locker room if the children are under 3 years of age. All others can use the unisex locker rooms.
- Review the YMCA of Greensboro Restroom and Locker Room Policy.
- Parent/Guardian must remain in the building while child(ren) are in PlayZone room or if child(ren) are enrolled in a program.
- Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult who is 18 years of age or older or a sibling 16 years of age or older.
- For security reasons, the YMCA reserves the right to search the bag, backpack or pocketbook of any individual on our premises to ensure the safety of our members, guests and staff.
- All members must scan their membership cards upon entry for admittance to the YMCA. Allowing someone other than the member to use a card will result in revocation of membership.
Community Guest Policy/Fees
- Members ages 13 and older will have access to free guest passes. Each member may bring one (1) individual per visit. Each guest may visit any YMCA of Greensboro for free only once. When guests have used their free visit, they must either join the YMCA or buy additional day passes. Members must remain in the facility for the duration of the guest's visit.
- Day Community Guest passes may be purchased for $15/Adult, $10/Teen, $5/Youth.
- Members from other YMCAs may use our facility after their membership has been verified by their home YMCA.
- Availability and guest access hours vary by location. Please contact the Y you would like to visit prior to visiting. View locations.
- Guest must complete a waiver release.
Membership Card Policy
All members must scan their membership cards for admittance to the YMCA. This card is verification of your membership and documentation of usage of a facility to better serve our members. New cards must be purchased at a cost of $5 per card if lost or stolen. Anyone who allows another person to use his or her membership card will have their membership terminated immediately.
Bank Draft/Credit Card Memberships
Memberships purchased through the bank draft/credit card plan require the first month of payment (along with applicable Joining Fee). Bank draft/credit cards charges are on a continuous monthly plan and are automatically renewed yearly. A 15 day written cancellation form must be completed and returned to the YMCA. It is the member’s responsibility to check bank/card records to make sure the draft has been stopped. Any error must be identified no later than 60 days from the posted statement dates. The YMCA does not accept responsibility for any errors if more than 90 days have passed since the initial error.
Inclement Weather Pool Policy
The YMCA will close the pool due to inclement weather including thunderstorms, hail and other forms of severe weather. During thunderstorms, the pool will close and remain closed for 30 minutes after the last sound of thunder or after the last sight of lightning.
Joining Fee Policy
Certain Membership types come with a Joining Fee; this is a one-time fee as long as the membership is kept active. If the membership expires more than 60 days, the Joining Fee will be charged upon renewal of the membership. Joining Fees can be spread across the first three drafts of a membership.
The policy of the YMCA is that all membership and program fees are non-refundable. The exception will be if a program is canceled, then a credit will be issued or a refund given if no makeup program is offered.
Returned Check/Draft Policies
There is a $20 service charge on all returned checks and/or drafts. If payment (or payment arrangement) is not received within 14 days memberships may be terminated and/or program registration will be withdrawn.
Pool Contamination Statement
The YMCA will close the swimming pool due to incidents of fecal contamination. The pool will remain closed until all contamination has been treated and eliminated. This process could take up to 24 hours. Pool users can help us avoid contamination by following these guidelines:
- Do not use the pool if you or your child has had diarrhea in the previous 2 weeks.
- Shower your child and yourself before entering.
- Do not change your child’s diaper at the poolside.
- Assist young children in making frequent visits to the bathroom to minimize accidents.
- Do not rinse hands in the pool following a trip to the bathroom or changing a child’s diaper.
- Wash hands thoroughly using soap and warm water.