At the YMCA of Greensboro, the health and safety of our program participants, members and staff is our top priority. We have implemented COVID-19 transmission prevention protocols based on guidelines from national, state and local health officials, including those from the NCDHHS, the CDC and local health departments.
1. All participants, guardians and staff will sanitize their hands (using soap and water or hand sanitizer) upon arrival at the Y.
3. There will be no recreational swim allowed before or after the lessons to allow for proper distancing.
4. Participants will not be able to change clothes on the pool deck.
5. All equipment and seating areas will be cleaned and sanitized a minimum of 1 time per day.
6. All participants and guardians will have spaced apart assigned seating during lessons.
7. Due to capacity guidelines, only one person will be allowed to accompany the participant to the lesson.
FREE* American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course at the Bryan YMCA
Train to Hire
Do you want to learn how to save lives and make a difference in your community? Have you always enjoyed being in the water and are a skilled swimmer? Then becoming a lifeguard can be ideal for you!
*We are now hiring lifeguards, and we will train you for FREE to be a part of our team! Candidates will complete a swim test and employment interview prior to starting the course. Successful candidates will be registered for the Free American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course.
Participants must be at least 15 years old and successfully complete the lifeguarding course and a background and reference check prior to employment.
Registration in the course is also available to those not interested in working for the YMCA! Cost is $150 for Members and $200 for Non-Members.
Pre-Requisite Skills Include:
- 300 yard swim demonstrating rhythmic breathing doing the front crawl or breaststroke
- 2-minute tread without the use of the hands (under armpits or out of the water)
- Timed event (1 minute and 40 seconds to swim 20 yards, surface dive to 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to breathe. Finally, exit the water without using a ladder or steps.)
To successfully complete the lifeguarding course, you must:
- Attend the entire course
- Participate in all skill sessions/drills, activities, scenarios, and demonstrations
- Pass the final written exams with a minimum grade of 80 percent
When you register online, you will be contacted to schedule an interview and swim test or to complete payment.
In-Person Course Sessions
Please stay tuned for future offerings!