At the YMCA of Greensboro, the health and safety of our program participants, members and staff is our top priority. We will implement COVID-19 transmission prevention protocols based on guidelines from national, state and local health officials, including those from the NCDHHS, the CDC and local health departments.
1. All participants, guardians and staff will sanitize their hands (using soap and water or hand sanitizer) upon arrival at the Y.
2. All non-vaccinated participants and guardians will be required to wear face masks in the facility and on the pool deck. Participants can remove masks when in the water.
3. Face coverings will be worn by all non-vaccinated staff members, including while on the pool deck and in the water.
4. There will be no recreational swim allowed before or after the lessons to allow for proper distancing.
5. Participants will not be able to change clothes on the pool deck.
6. All equipment and seating areas will be cleaned and sanitized a minimum of 1 time per day.
7. All participants and guardians will have spaced apart assigned seating during lessons.
8. Due to capacity guidelines, only one person will be allowed to accompany the participant to the lesson.
LIFEGUARDS SAVE LIVES
YGUARD is a rigorous 40 hour class for ages 16 and up.
Train to Hire
YMCA Lifeguard Class
This class is for applicants with intent to hire at the Ragsdale YMCA. All potential participants will only be accepted into the course if they meet the criteria below and intend on working at the Ragsdale YMCA as a lifeguard.
All potential applicants must complete the interview process and swim competency test before they will be allowed to register for the course. The hiring process will be completed at the time of lifeguard training.
During this class, participants will learn life-saving rescue skills for an aquatic environment. Once a participant passes the class, and passes the skills and written test, they will be certified as a YMCA Lifeguard for 2 years and can lifeguard at any YMCA and most other facilities (certification requirements may vary at each location).
At the end of class, you will receive certifications for:
YMCA Lifeguard - valid for 2 years
CPR for the Professional Rescuer/AED - valid for 1 year
First Aid - valid for 2 years
Oxygen Administration - valid for 2 years
Class registration also includes fanny pack, CPR mask, whistle with lanyard and On the Guard: YMCA Lifeguard Manual, Edition 5.
If you drop out, miss class, or cannot pass the written exams or in-water skills for any reason, your money will not be refunded.
All participants must complete the Physical Competency Swim prior to registering for the class. This test can be completed by scheduling an appointment with the branch aquatics director. Click here to view Physical Competency Swim requirements.
Participants must be 16 years of age or older to attend class. All participants will be required to complete 8 hours of online training prior to the course.
You must attend all classes, receive 80% or better on all written exams, successfully perform all practical skills, successfully demonstrate strength and maturity to be a YMCA lifeguard to prevent accidents and also respond to emergencies through classroom and pool scenarios.
Additional Information: Bring a swimsuit, towel, pen, paper and any food you wish to eat during training.
$75 with intent to hire. If you drop out, miss a class, or cannot pass the written exams or in-water skills for any reason, you will not be permitted to proceed with the hiring process. There is no refund for the registration fee of $75.
If participants choose not to work at the Ragsdale YMCA after receiving the lifeguard certification, they will be charged the following fees upon successfully completing the course: $250 for members, $300 for non-members.
This training will take place at our Ragsdale YMCA. Check out the details below!
Tuesday June 8th, 9:30am-2:30pm
Wednesday June 9th, 9:30am-2:30pm
Thursday June 10th, 9:30am-2:30pm
Friday June 11th, 9:30am-2:30pm
Saturday June 12th, 1:00pm-6:00pm
Sunday June 13th, 1:00pm-6:00pm
Email Justine to register.
Bryan Family YMCA: Clay Dorman, 336.478.9622
Eden YMCA: Chris Carter, 336.623.8496
Hayes-Taylor YMCA: Clay Dorman, 336.272.2131
Ragsdale YMCA: Justine Intiso, 336.882.9622
Reidsville YMCA: Cassy Velarde, 336.342.3307
Spears YMCA: Laura Brown, 336.387.9625