Spears Adult Wellness
The Spears YMCA offers a variety of Wellness options for adults from Group Exercise, Personal Trianing, cancer survivor programs and more!
Text Message updates: Text “gx” to 781-728-9542 to receive updates from us on the latest happenings in Group Exercise for Spears YMCA.
For more information contact Beth McKinney, Spears Wellness Director at 336.387.9622.
Discover your potential! Work with a certified YMCA Personal Trainer and accomplish your wellness goals. Regardless of age or fitness level, personal attention and expert advice will help you achieve maximum results and avoid injury.
Personal Training Rates and Packages:
|30 minutes Session||$20||$30|
|1 hr Session||$40||$60|
|4 1 hr Sessions||$150||$230|
|8 1 hr Sessions||$280||$440|
Please contact Beth McKinney, Wellness Director, at 336.387.9622 for additional questions.
Programs & Services
The Spears YMCA offers a variety of Wellness Programs and Services like Wellness Center Orientation, Indoor Triathalon training and more!
The Spears YMCA offers 3 Adult Sports: Pickleball, Outdoor Soccer, and Volleyball.
Tae Kwon Do
The Spears YMCA in partnership with the Greensboro Black Belt Academy offers Tae Kwon Do at three locations for children and adults.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA®
LiveSTRONG at the YMCA®
To be contacted to find out if you qualify for the LiveSTRONG® at the YMCA program please fill out the interest form.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a free program designed for cancer survivors 18 years and older who have become de-conditioned and fatigued from their treatment.
The goals of the program include:
- Improving strength and endurance
- Increasing flexibility and day-to-day activities
- Reducing the severity of therapy side effects
- Preventing unwanted weight changes
- Improving self esteem and energy levels
Participants receive a FREE 12-week Metro membership and may use the facilities at any time. Participants may bring in a family member who can work out on their own.
Age: 18 and older
Cost: No cost for participants
- Participants must receive medical clearance and are evaluated on an individual basis.
- Patients currently undergoing treatment may participate, but only if they receive medical clearance.
- Have your doctor fill out the Referral form.
- Commit to attending 80% of the classes
- Participants cannot exceed five years post treatment.
For more information or to sign up please contact Lauren Marshall at 336.478.9637.
Did you know that a 30-minute walk in the water is equivalent to a two-hour walk on land? Water resistance offers an excellent opportunity for muscle toning and body sculpting. Water also cools the body during exercise, which reduces stress on the heart and reduces the risk of injury by lessening the impact on weight-bearing joints, muscles, and bones.
Pedaling an indoor cycle may change the life of someone with Parkinson’s disease. Research conducted at the Cleveland Clinic showed a 35% reduction in symptoms by the simple act of pedaling a bicycle at a rapid pace – optimally, 80-90 revolutions per minute. Fast pedaling is not a cure for Parkinson’s disease and should not be touted as such, but compelling evidence shows that it does make a real difference for many who try it. We do know that fast-paced cycling is changing the lives of increasing numbers of participants who, before this, had no hope beyond medication and eventually surgery to slow the progression of their disease.
- Improve the quality of life of Parkinson’s disease patients and their caregivers
- Educate patients, caregivers, and the general public about the benefits of maintaining an active lifestyle after a Parkinson’s diagnosis;
- Support research dedicated to prevention and treatment of Parkinson’s disease
Who: Participants must be 30-75 years old Be diagnosed with Idiopathic PD Complete and submit a signed consent form and medical clearance Interview with the YMCA Wellness Director Agree to periodically monitor progress.
When: This is an on-going program on Thursday mornings at 10:45. You must complete the interview and below form before attending your first class.
Cost: This is a free program for participants, both members and non-members.
For more information, contact Beth McKinney, Spears YMCA Wellness Director at 336.387.9631.
MS Water Fitness
A class designed for people with MS to help with daily functions. Workouts are designed to increase muscular strength and mobility. This class meets Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 11:00am.
Adults with Autism
Quad F - FRIENDS, FUN, FITNESS AND FUSION
We are an alliance that focuses on welcoming people on the Autism Spectrum.
QUAD F is dedicated to developing friendships, motivating each other, having fun and promoting fitness, fusion and community engagement. During the 8 sessions, the participants will eat together and do at least two of the following activities: swim, basketball, Zumba, Pickleball, workout in fitness room, play board games, etc.
As part of the YMCA’s collaboration with Cone Health, Debbie Kinney, RN, is on site at the Spears YMCA offering health assessments, lab screening events, wellness counseling, and Cone Health speakers. Lab tests are offered at a reduced cost to YMCA members. Testing is available by appointment during the Wellness Nurse office hours. Payment by cash or check only.
Examples of testing include:
All Cholesterol/Lipids [$25.00]
Blood Sugar [$5.00]
Complete Metabolic Panel – 14 (CMP-14) – Kidney Profile, Liver Panel, Glucose, and Electrolytes such as Sodium, Potassium, Calcium [$20.00]
Complete Blood Count with Differential (CBC w/Diff) – Red and White Blood Cells, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, Lymphocytes, Monocytes [$20.00]
Vitamin D (Vit D) – Used to determine bone malformation, bone weakness, or abnormal metabolism of calcium [$10.00]
Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) – Elevated PSA levels can indicate prostate cancer or a noncancerous condition such as prostatitis or an enlarged prostate [$10.00]
Thyroid-stimulating Hormone (TSH) – Used to diagnose a thyroid disorder in someone with symptoms, monitor thyroid replacement therapy in people with hypothyroidism [$10.00]
Contact Debbie Kinney by phone at 336.980.8807 to schedule an appointment or ask a question.
Office hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8am – 1pm
Youth Access Policy
Age Guidelines for Fitness Age 9+
- Age 16 and up may use strength equipment alone
- Age 14-15 may use strength equipment after completing Teen Certification
- Age 13 and up may use cardio alone
- Age 9-12 may use cardio equipment with parent – no weight equipment
- Age 9-13 may do body weight exercises with parent – no weight lifting
Group Exercise Classes
- Age 14 and up may do any class without parental supervision
- Age 9-13 may do cardio (Zumba, cycle, Tabata, Pound, etc.), Pilates, or yoga with parent. For cycle classes, the child must be big enough to fit on cycle properly and parent must be on the bike immediately next to the child’s bike.