Job Title: Counselor – Branch Day Camp & After School
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Branch Family Services Director
Pay Grade: $8.61 - $12.41/hour
Counselors are responsible for supervising children while conducting educational, cultural and recreational activities for children from grades K-8. In addition, every position in the YMCA of Greensboro is responsible for upholding the Judeo-Christian principles that are central to our mission by modeling behaviors that exemplify the four pillars of character - caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervising and interacting appropriately with all children in the program and their parents according to prescribed YMCA standards.
- Assisting students with virtual school work as required during Back to School at the Y days.
- Planning program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate, and consistent with YMCA values. Implementing and participating with the children in all activities including, but not limited to sports, games, crafts, etc.
- Completing all required documentation for the program.
- Attending staff meetings and trainings.
- Assisting with housekeeping tasks as necessary to maintain program safety and cleanliness standards.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship building skills in all interactions.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Leadership Competencies Required:
- Values – Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission in all matters at all times.
- Inclusion – Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion and cultural competence.
- Relationships – Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
- Communication – Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Decision Making – Integrates logic, intuition, and sound judgment to analyze information to identify greatest opportunities, make sound decisions, and solve problems.
- Emotional Maturity – Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Lead Counselor: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or minimum of six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Counselor: High school completion not required; or one to three months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend safety rules, procedure manuals, simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to parents, children, and other employees of the organization. Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community. Ability to bring a boisterous group under control and maintain appropriate control for effective communication and management of group activities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
CPR/AED, First Aid and Blood Borne Pathogen training required upon hire and must remain current throughout employment.
Hiring at multiple locations. Apply online by clicking the below links:
Bryan Family YMCA
Eden Family YMCA
Ragsdale Family YMCA
Reidsville Family YMCA
Spears Family YMCA